Fall is here. The leaves are changing. The air is getting cooler, and winter is around the corner. How do we prepare our home for the winter.
We talked to Tom Rusco of House 2 Home Inspection on tips to keep our homes protected this winter:
Courtesy of Tom Rusco
- Check window wells, dry wells and storm drains.
- Seal driveway cracks.
- Trim all trees.
- Check (during rainstorm) for proper drainage from foundation.
- Check and seal any cracks.
- Check weather-tightness of all surfaces.
- Check for finish or paint deterioration.
- Caulk and seal all joints.
- Check for loose, damaged or missing roofing.
- Check soffit for signs of moisture build-up.
- Check condition of chimney.
- Check flashings for fit or poor seal.
- Check and clean all gutters and downspouts.
- Drain exterior water lines and open taps.
- Insulate water lines that are subject to freezing.
- Check ventilation openings for nests or other blockage.
- Check position and condition of insulation.
- Follow manufacturer instructions for HVAC systems.
- Remove (or winterize) room air conditioners.
- Clean all elements of cooling system.
- Test and start humidifier.
- Change or clean heating system filter.
- Check condition of water heater.
- Check for HVAC or plumbing leaks.
You can reach Tom at: